Tuesday 23 March 2010

Matter of taste - which pleases you?

I have a problem with my printing house. Every once in a while I need big prints in the sizes A2 and A1. For them I use a printing house with a good reputation. The only problem is that the IT guru of the house wants to improve my photos, big time.  He starts with  improvements that will enhance the printing quality but ends up changing the photos to the extent I do not recognize them as my own anymore.

Basically, I am not against improvement, I am not saying what I produce is perfect. Far from it. But I feel there are limits to alterations.

I give you an example.

I took this picture late in the evening at a remote place called Dirhami situated on the Baltic Sea on the west coast of Estonia. There was magic in the air, the atmosphere was like in a fairytale. I tried to capture this particular moment, when the world was turning from blue to lilac, just before the sunset.

I liked the result so much that I added the photo to my internet photo store Ottilia Visions.



On Friday the printer called and told me that he did not find the colours natural and had enhanced the photo to better correspond to reality (reality being imaginative since he was not present when the photo was taken. He  even gave me a lecture on the colours of different types of sands in Estonia).

He sent me his version, below:



This is my poll: which one do you like better?

The absolute truth - reality, true colours and lights at that particular moment at that particular place - are from somewhere in-between these two.



1 comment:

  1. I much prefer the image as you found it, not as the printer "re-created" it. It is your vision he should be printing, not his, in my opinion. Great job with all of your photos. I have enjoyed browsing all of them.

    ReplyDelete