Wednesday 14 March 2012

Dancing cow-creamer and its momma

This time DPS's weekly assignment asked us to use natural light as the source of light.

Description:

This week: "Lighting: Natural Window Light". As the days grow longer in the northern hemisphere and shorter in the south, we are all aware of sunlight. For this assignment, I want you to find a window or doorway and observe the light that comes through it at different times of the day. Use it to light your assignment image. You can do a portrait, but if you don't have a willing model (and not interested in a self-portrait), try a still life. Be very aware of shadows and how they can add to or detract from your image.

I say, this was a tough one. I decided to use two very soft-lined objects: a ceramic cow-creamer and a ceramic butter-holder. Both white. On a white table in front of a window.

I shifted the objects and observed how the light reflected from them during several hours. I ended up with a bunch of photos and had a hard time deciding which one I would post as the entry.
Here they are, my cows. Which one is your favourite?



Number 1


Number 2



Number 3


Number 4


Number 5


Number 6

Number 7


Number 8

Number 9



I still haven't  decided. Strange, I like each one of them for some particular reason. I guess my choice will depend on which one of them best corresponds to the given assignment.

1 comment: